Complete guide to the Bukit Merese sunset viewpoint near Kuta Lombok, Indonesia.
Bukit Merese or Merese Hills is an epic Kuta Lombok sunset viewpoint that overlooks the shores of Tanjung Aan Beach and the rocky coastline toward Kuta.
In terms of sunset viewpoints in Kuta Lombok, Bukit Merese is by far the most popular spot. However, don’t let that discourage you from making a visit. The cliffs are very wide with plenty of room for everybody to get a peaceful view of the Lombok setting sun.
Don’t Miss: Top Things to do in Lombok, Indonesia
Top Lombok Adventure Experiences
Below is a list of the most popular and worthwhile experiences that you can book on the island. If you're up for sightseeing on Lombok, don't go past these 3 must-dos.
- Gili Islands Snorkeling Trip - an epic small-group tour visiting the best snorkeling and swimming spots on the Gili Islands from Lombok
- Rinjani Volcano Trekking - the most epic adventure experience on Lombok is to climb to the summit or crater ridge of Rinjani Volcano
- Secret Gili Islands Boat Trip - get off-the-beaten-path and explore the Secret Gili Islands of Lombok
How to Get to the Merese Hills Sunset Viewpoint
To get to Bukit Merese Hills, you'll need to make the 15-minute scooter ride from Kuta Lombok, around the coast towards the popular Tanjung Aan Beach.
Bukit Merese Entry Price: 10,000 rupiah per motorbike (for parking) visiting is free.
Once you arrive at Tanjung Aan, simply keep going a little further where you'll reach a band of guys collecting parking money. After you've paid, follow the sandy path to the base of Bukit Merese Hills where you can park your motorbike.
Related:Top Beaches near Kuta Lombok, Indonesia
Best Sunset Views at Bukit Merese Hills Viewpoint
From the carpark, follow the path up the hill until you reach the top. From here, you have the option of following the hill up to the higher viewpoints on the left or the lower hills on the right side.
Both sides of this sunset viewpoint offer some spectacular views. However, the left, higher side hills offers you views of Tanjung Aan.
From Bukit Merese Hills, the sun sets almost directly adjacent to the scattered cliffs in the distance to the east. Here, you can watch the sun slowly slip into the ocean horizon before it puts on its nightly fire show.
What About the Monkey Viewpoint?
On the left hills, you'll often find several groups of monkeys chilling on the cliffs trying to get their nightly sunset fix. These guys are pretty used to people, so much so that they seem to pose for photos on the cliff.
Kuta Lombok Accommodation
Where to Stay in Kuta Lombok
- Rascals Hotel - Adults Only - the 3-star hotel features an outdoor swimming pool, restaurant, and terrace. It offers a quiet and relaxing atmosphere being an adult-only hotel. With a great location, Rascals Hotel ticks the boxes for a great place to stay.
- Martas Windows - boasting authentic Indonesian bungalow villa-style rooms. This is any Instagrammer's dream place to stay. The rooms are large and the outdoor swimming pool is the perfect place to relax. Located in the heart of Kuta it really doesn’t get much better!
- Origin Lombok - Origin has a swimming pool with a sun terrace as well as lush gardens to relax by. This spot is centrally located and features an on-site restaurant. One of the best picks in Kuta Lombok for sure!
More Photos of the Merese Hills Sunset Viewpoint
During my time in the south, I visited this Kuta Lombok sunset viewpoint 3 times! Yes, it was really that spectacular. Although it's pretty popular, it's a spot that's definitely earnt its name as the best sunset viewpoint in Kuta Lombok.
Best Travel Insurance for Lombok
Safeguard yourself from unforeseen travel mishaps like accidents, cancellations, delays, and loss of your personal items. SafetyWing offers peace of mind travel insurance for Lombok at super affordable rates.
More Lombok Travel & Adventure Inspiration
After visiting this awesome sunset viewpoint in Lombok, make sure to check out some of my other guides below. You'll find tonnes of more inspiration for things to do on the island.