Complete guide to the Bukit Selon Rice Field Viewpoint, also known as Selong Hill, located in Sembalun, Lombok. How to get here, what to expect, plus some epic photos of this incredible mountain village.
Bukit Selong, or, Selong Hill is a small rice field viewpoint overlooking a carpet of fields and paddies in Sembalun, East Lombok.
This viewpoint is one of the best things to do in Sembalun if you’re looking for a great sunset or sunrise viewpoint without much of a hike involved. In this guide, I’ll break down exactly how to get here, what to expect, and tips to help you enjoy your visit.
First: the Top Outdoor & Adventure Experiences on Lombok
Below is a list of the most popular and worthwhile experiences that you can book on the island. If you're up for sightseeing on Lombok, don't go past these 3 must-dos.
- Gili Islands Snorkeling Trip - an epic small-group tour visiting the best snorkeling and swimming spots on the Gili Islands from Lombok
- Rinjani Volcano Trekking - the most epic adventure experience on Lombok is to climb to the summit or crater ridge of Rinjani Volcano
- Secret Gili Islands Boat Trip Hidden Gem- get off-the-beaten-path and explore the Secret Gili Islands of Lombok
How to Find Bukit Selong
Bukit Selong is located just behind the village of Sembalun. If you're staying in Sembalun, then you can either walk or take a motorbike to the viewpoint. Following these directions on how to find Bukit Selong, it shouldn't take you more than 30 minutes to walk, or 10 minutes to ride.
I've pinned the exact location on Google Maps below.
The easiest way to find Bukit Selong Viewpoint is to use Google Maps, which will direct you all the way to the viewpoint. However, here are some general directions if you get lost:
From the Rinjani National Park Office, follow the main road south and turn left just after "Putra Sembalun Homestay". Keep walking until you cross a small bridge over a river and through the bamboo forest until you arrive at a small village.
From here, you can already see some of the rice fields, Bukit Selong viewpoint is the small hill just forward from the village.
Bukit Selong Viewpoint Entrance Fee
The updated price to visit this viewpoint is 10,000 Indonesian Rupiah per person. This small donation to enjoy their local viewpoint will go a long way to helping the locals of this remote area of Lombok.
Related:Visit Mangku Sakti Waterfall in Sembalun
What to Expect at the Bukit Selong Rice Field Viewpoint
Following the path up the hill, you'll see the remnants of an old wooden star and treehouse bridge. Still, the view out to the rice fields are magical both at sunrise and sunset.
From the top of Selong Hill, you can also see the entire town of Sembalun and watch the sunset behind Rinjani. When we visited there was a lingering fog which coupled with the echoing nightly prayers to create a spectacular scene.
The rice fields form a pastiche rug that lies underneath the surrounding hills, including the popular hiking viewpoint; Pergasingan Hill.
Where to Stay in Sembalun
Sembalun village isn’t exactly the most touristy location on Lombok. However, that doesn’t mean that there aren’t any great guest houses or hotels available.
- Bukit Tiga Lima Boutique Hotel - the location is hard to beat with impeccable views over the surrounding rice fields. The 3-star hotel features triangular rooms with BBQ facilities and an included breakfast. Perfect for couples wanting to relax away from the bustling center.
- Radiya Guesthouse - one of the best-value accommodation options in Sembalun. The rooms are small, but very clean and have everything you need. There’s unlimited free coffee and tea, as well as a free breakfast included.
- Sembalun Kita Cottage - set among the mountains the Sembulan Kita Cottage offers its guests incredible views from its rooms, hot water, free breakfasts, and the option of sleeping in a 100-year-old traditional Indonesian house.
More Lombok Travel & Adventure Guides
I hope you've enjoyed this quick guide to visiting Sembalun's epic rice field viewpoint. Check out some of my other guides below for more travel inspiration and tips for adventures on Lombok Island.