A complete traveler’s guide to visiting Sembalun Lombok. Includes up-to-date information on the best things to do in this sleepy mountain region of Northern Lombok.
Sembalun Village Lombok is a quiet mountain town located in the northern mountain regions of Lombok Island, Indonesia. While not many tourists tend to visit Sembalun, it’s surprisingly one of the best adventure destinations in Lombok.
From epic waterfall missions to incredible day hikes, here’s a list of things to do in Sembalun that will convince you to skip the Kuta crowds.
- Quick List: Top 3 Things to do in Sembalun
- How to Get to Sembalun Village Lombok
- Epic Things to do in Sembalun Village Lombok
- Staying in Sembalun Village Lombok – Accommodation Guide
- More Lombok Travel & Adventure Guides
Quick List: Top 3 Things to do in Sembalun
After the quick answer? Here are the top 3 bookable activities from Sembalun, Lombok.
- Mount Rinjani hike - Sembalun is one of the most convenient starting points forthe most epic travel experience in Lombok, climbing to the crater or summit of the Mount Rinjani volcano.
- Northern Lombok waterfalls - visit the amazing Sendang Gile and Tiu Kelep waterfalls in northern Lombok on this epic day trip
- Pergasingan Hill trek - an amazing overnight hike to Pergasingan hill overlooking Sembalun. An easier option than Rinjani but offering amazing views.
How to Get to Sembalun Village Lombok
There is no public transport system on Lombok that runs to Sembalun. As a result, you will have to organize your own transport or rent a car or motorbike and drive here yourself.
Another popular option for those planning to do the popular Rinjani crater or summit hike is to organize your transport with your tour company. If you're hiking from Senaru, it should only take about 40 minutes to reach Sembalun, which won't cost more than 100 000 IDR per car.
Epic Things to do in Sembalun Village Lombok
With that out of the way, let's get straight into the list of best things to do in Sembalun and the surrounding region of North Lombok.
1. Pergasingan Hill Hike
If it's not a Rinjani summit trek, by far the most popular thing to do in Sembalun is to hike Pergasingan Hill.
Pergasingan Hill is a large hill that sits above the ricefield valleys of Sembalun. Its highest point is around 1,750 meters, which means you'll be climbing roughly 600 meters of altitude. It takes about 1.5 hours to reach the top at a decent pace, where you'll be rewarded with some of the best views in Lombok.
If you do decide to climb Pergasingan Hill, I'd recommend making it a sunrise hike, or alternatively, booking a combined trekking and camping trip to spend a night at the top.
2. Mangku Sakti Waterfall (Air Terjun Mangku Sakti)
Looking for a real off-the-beaten-path waterfall adventure? Mangku Sakti waterfall is one of my favorite falls in Lombok, and flows hard even in the dry season.
To get here, it takes approximately 20 minutes by motorbike until you reach a dirt road. From here, it's a 30-minute off-road adventure down some dirt roads through dense jungle followed by a 15-minute walk.
Mangku Sakti waterfall is a large 20-meter waterfall with powerful flowing rapids downriver. My favorite part about this waterfall is that you can climb inside it and watch the power flow from behind the waterfall!
3. Bukit Selong Ricefield Viewpoint
Sembalun Village Lombok even has some pretty epic sunset and sunrise viewpoints. One of the best you'll find is Bukit Selong, located behind a river at the edge of the village.
This one doesn't require a long hike to reach but still rewards you with incredible views of the patchwork Sembalun rice fields. On the other side, you'll get a wider view of Sembalun Village as you listen to the Mosque prayers as they echo around the mountain landscape.
There's been extensive damage in this part of the village, so the owners of the land charge a 5,000 rupiah entry price to visit the Bukit Selong ricefield viewpoint. This goes a long way to help the local community rebuild following the earthquakes.
4. Taman Wisata Pusuk Viewpoint
Taman Wisata Pusuk Viewpoint is another incredible mountain viewpoint at the top of Sembalun. Unlike Pergasingan Hill, you won't need to hike to the top, since the viewpoint is actually located on the side of the road atop the mountain pass.
This is a great viewpoint to get expansive views of the Sembalun valley and the massive volcanic hills. You'll also see the small porcelain houses resting below Pergasinghan Hill and Rinjani's crater.
There is a small bamboo viewing platform that stretches out over the edge that makes for some cool, albeit little corny photos.
Related:Top Things to do in Sekotong
5. Mount Rinjani Trekking
Mount Rinjani is the tallest point on Lombok and the second tallest volcano in Indonesia! Rinjani trekking is the reason why a lot of people visit North Lombok, and I don't blame them! Trekking and camping on the edge of the crater was one of my favorite experiences in Lombok.
Did you know that all Rinjani summit treks depart from Sembalun? Although summit trekking is mostly closed, it's still possible to arrange a Rinjani Crater Rim hike from Sembalun.
Officials are currently reevaluating and rebuilding the Mount Rinjani summit trails. This means that full-scale summit expeditions should be in full swing very shortly! Another reason to visit Sembalun Village Lombok!
6. Ride Through the Strawberry Fields
Another one of the more unexpected things to do in Sembalun was to check out the strawberry fields. If you have a motorbike and a little bit of time, you can take the same road that leads up to Taman Wisata Pusuk Viewpoint through some spectacular strawberry farms.
You'll notice local villagers selling their freshly grown mountain strawberries on the side of the road. Many also allow you to pick fresh strawberries on their farm for only a 20 000 rupiah donation!
Best Travel Insurance for Lombok
Safeguard yourself from unforeseen travel mishaps like accidents, cancellations, delays, and loss of your personal items. SafetyWing offers peace of mind travel insurance for Lombok at super affordable rates.
Staying in Sembalun Village Lombok - Accommodation Guide
Where to Stay in Sembalun
Sembalun village isn’t exactly the most touristy location on Lombok. However, that doesn’t mean that there aren’t any great guest houses or hotels available.
- Bukit Tiga Lima Boutique Hotel - the location is hard to beat with impeccable views over the surrounding rice fields. The 3-star hotel features triangular rooms with BBQ facilities and an included breakfast. Perfect for couples wanting to relax away from the bustling center.
- Radiya Guesthouse - one of the best-value accommodation options in Sembalun. The rooms are small, but very clean and have everything you need. There’s unlimited free coffee and tea, as well as a free breakfast included.
- Sembalun Kita Cottage - set among the mountains the Sembulan Kita Cottage offers its guests incredible views from its rooms, hot water, free breakfasts, and the option of sleeping in a 100-year-old traditional Indonesian house.
More Lombok Travel & Adventure Guides
So, that wraps up this Sembalun travel guide. If you enjoyed this list of the best things to do in Sembalun, make sure to read my other articles that cover all of the other popular regions in Lombok.
Have you got any other epic adventures that I missed on my trip to Sembalun? Let me know below!
Wednesday 3rd of August 2022
The Most epic blog with great information about Lombok. I love it.