A quick guide unveiling the best sunset spot on Hamilton Island, known as One Tree Hill Lookout.
Visiting the Whitsundays and wondering, what is the best sunset point on Hamilton Island? I’ve got the answer for you, it’s the One Tree Hill lookout spot. In this guide, I’ll give you a brief rundown of what you need to know to get here, and what to expect once you arrive.
By Olly Gaspar, traveler, travel blogger & photographer for 5+ years with 600+ published travel guides. I visit every place I write about & share real tips from what I learn.
How to get to The Best Sunset Point on Hamilton Island - One Tree Hill
Hamilton Island is fairly small, so it's convenient to get to almost any point on the island by foot or golf buggy.
For those staying near the main strip on the island, it's jsut a 20-minute walk to reach the top of One Tree Hill for the best sunset point on Hamilton Island.
I've pinned the location on the map below to help you find the spot.
The walk up is not exactly a hike, and more of a suburban stroll. Nevertheless, the view from the top is definitely one of the best places to watch either sunset or sunrise.
View from the One Tree Hill Sunset Point
One Tree Hill Sunset Point is actually named after the bar that sits on the hill. You'll no doubt see tourists enjoying a wine or cocktail at the top overlooking the Whitsunday Islands.
At the sunset point, you can enjoy watching the sunset overs over Daydream Island and the mainland on the west side.
You'll also be greeted with sunset views over the other side, stretching all the way to Whitsunday Island.
Contradictory to its name, One Tree Hill sunset viewpoint actually has several palm trees and other native trees dotting the hill. It definitely sets a tropical vibe as you watch the sunset behind them.
Best Time Of Year to Visit Hamilton Island
The best month to visit highlights in the Whitsundays like Hamilton Island and Whitehaven Beach is in September. This is due to higher water temperatures, warm days and the least amount of rainfall.
However, it is possible to visit Hamilton Island all year round. The high season for sailing and cruising the Whitsunday Islands is between May and September.
While Summer definitely offers hotter weather, there is more tropical rain and the threat of cyclones. Also, Summer is the peak season for dangerous marine stingers in the Coral Sea waters.
Best Whitsunday Island Experiences
The Whitsunday Islands are a true natural wonder, where you can explore a diverse range of Aussie landscapes from the lush green rainforests to the breathtaking underwater world of the Great Barrier Reef. Below are the top three unmissable experiences to book this year.
1. Whitehaven Full-Day Eco Cruise Must-Do
This comfortable fast-boat tour is the most cost-effective way to explore the Whitsundays and get to Whitehaven Beach.
See the Great Barrier Reef from above on the top-rated Great Barrier Reef scenic flight from Airlie Beach.
Sailing in the Whitsundays is a classic bucket-list experience. This is the top-rated and most booked yacht operator you'll find online.
What Time is Sunset on Hamilton Island?
In the Summer months, Queensland enjoys longer, hotter days. As a result, expect a typical Whitsunday sunrise around 5:30 AM and sunset at approximately 6:45 pm.
For the more popular, cooler Winter months, the sun rises a little later, at around 6:45 am and sets at approximately 5:45 pm.
For those who want to time sunset, you can always check out the local sunrise and sunset times here.
Where to Stay on Hamilton Island
As a small Whitsundays island, the location you pick for your hotel isn't as important as the hotel itself. To help you out, here are the top accommodation options on Hamilton Island.
1. Hamilton Beach Club Luxury
Boasting an infinity pool and private beach area, this top-rated adults-only, 5-star beach resort is the top luxury pick for a romantic Hamilton Island getaway.
2. Reef View Hotel Mid-Range
Situated directly opposite Catseye Beach, this hotel is one of the best mid-range picks offering a great restaurant, bar, outdoor swimming pool, & modern rooms.
3. Palm Bungalows Budget
An entire beachside bungalow for the whole family. These stylish cabins are among the most cost-effective accommodation options for larger groups on Hamilton Island.
More Queensland Travel Guides
I hope you've enjoyed this short guide to One Tree Hill on Hamilton Island in the Whitsundays. After an unforgettable sunset, make sure to check out some of my other guides to kick off more adventures in this amazing region of Australia.
- 60+ Things to do in Cairns - my ultimate Cairns and FNQ travel resource covering the best activities, hidden gems, and unmissable experiences.
- Cairns Hiking Guide - a huge list of epic rainforest, waterfall, and lookout hikes in Cairns.
- Cairns Waterfalls - a huge list of epic waterfalls that I've visited in Cairns and the surrounding tropics.
- Cairns Islands - discover my favorite Great Barrier Reef islands near Cairns and Port Douglas.
- Cairns Tours - my roundup of the best tours you can book in Cairns and FNQ, from the Great Barrier Reef to the Daintree Rainforest.
- Cairns Packing List - tips on what to pack for a trip to Far North Queensland.
- Top Things to Do in Port Douglas - a comprehensive guide to the sleepy Far North Queensland town of Port Douglas.
- Epic 5-Day Cairns Itinerary - my suggested adventure itinerary if you only have 5 days to spend in Cairns.
- Cape Tribulation Travel Guide - discover where the rainforest meets the reef at one of my favourite places in Australia.
- Magnetic Island Travel Guide - your ultimate resource for visiting "Maggie" near Townsville.
- Best Things to do in the Atherton Tablelands - my guide to one of Far North Queensland's most underrated adventure destinations.
- Accommodation Resources: Discover where to stay in Cairns, the best hotels in Port Douglas and my Cape Tribulation accommodation guide.