Mason’s Swimming Hole is a pristine freshwater swimming hole located within walking distance of Cape Tribulation’s main attractions.
Cape Tribulation is a place that truly lives up to the old Aussie adage that “everything here wants to bloody kill ya!”. This is especially true at the beach, where crocs and the occasional deadly marine stinger tend to lurk, awaiting the unexpecting, weary backpacker to make a false move.
Fortunately, there are certain spots where you can escape the heat and cool down. After exploring many creeks and swimming holes in Cape Tribulation, Mason’s Swimming Hole is still one of my favourites! In this blog post, I’ll showcase the safest blue water swimming hole in Cape Tribulation near Mason’s Cafe.
By Olly Gaspar, traveler, travel blogger & photographer for 5+ years with 600+ published travel guides. I visit every place I write about & share real tips from what I learn.
Where is Mason's Swimming Hole?
Mason's Swimming Hole is located at the back of Mason's Cafe. The swimming hole is on private land and owned by the same guys who run the cafe.
Thankfully for Cape Tribulation visitors, the kind cafe owners have opened the swimming hole to the public, with a small donation ($1) being the asking price.
You'll find the cafe and swimming spot on the left side of Cape Tribulation Road when heading north (opposite the beach). Realistically, it's fairly hard to miss, just head toward Myall Beach and you will see the signs just before you get there.
- Google Maps Pin: Mason's Swimming Hole
Mason's Swimming Hole Entry Fee
As mentioned above, there is a small fee requested to enjoy the pristine swimming hole at Mason's Waterhole. However, it's only $1 per person, and you can swim and enjoy the serenity for as long as you'd like.
Also Nearby: Mount Sorrow Hike
What to Expect at Mason's Swimming Hole
The waterhole is marked by a small entry point into the dense rainforest scrub. You will find this just a few hundred metres behind the cafe. As soon as you enter the rainforest, you'll see the clear water surrounded by mossy rocks and tropical vines.
If you take a look at the bank, you will notice plenty of native freshwater fish. These guys live in the rainforest waterhole, presumably also hiding from the crocs further downstream in the brackish waters.
Also, there's a rope swing attached to a tree on the other side of the bank similar to the one at Emmagen Creek (also nearby).
The best place to swim is the deep section next to the exposed bank. However, we ventured up the creek and found some nice little swimming spots away from the crowds.
Where to Say at Cape Tribulation
Below I've included some tips on the best places to stay on your trip to Cape Tribulation. If you'd like more suggestions with photos, read my comprehensive accommodation guide to Cape Tribulation.
1. Wildwood Rainforest Cottages Luxury
Wildwood offers luxury rainforest cottages set on a rare exotic fruit orchard. Freely explore the 800+ trees on the property, picking & sampling any of the fruits in season
2. Daintree Crocodylus Hostel Budget
Located in Cow Bay, this hostel offers safari-tent style rooms that are built from wood and canvas, with high ceilings, fans and mosquito net.
3. Cape Tribulation Holiday House Family
The highest-rated holiday house in Cape Tribulation set on 5 acres of rainforest & includes a huge balcony, 2 bedrooms and a fully equipped kitchen!
The Ultimate Cape Tribulation Travel Resource
Looking for more Cape Trib travel guides & adventure inspiration? Below are my most comprehensive blog posts that will serve as a great free resource for your trip.
More Cape Tribulation & FNQ Travel Guides
I hope you enjoyed this quick guide to visiting Mason's Swimming Hole in Cape Tribulation.
For more adventure travel guides from Far North Queensland, make sure to check out some of the links below. If you haven't made it to Cape Trib yet, check out this guide to the epic Great Barrier Reef Drive from Cairns!
- 60+ Things to do in Cairns - my ultimate Cairns and FNQ travel resource covering the best activities, hidden gems, and unmissable experiences.
- Cairns Hiking Guide - a huge list of epic rainforest, waterfall, and lookout hikes in Cairns.
- Cairns Waterfalls - a huge list of epic waterfalls that I've visited in Cairns and the surrounding tropics.
- Cairns Islands - discover my favorite Great Barrier Reef islands near Cairns and Port Douglas.
- Cairns Tours - my roundup of the best tours you can book in Cairns and FNQ, from the Great Barrier Reef to the Daintree Rainforest.
- Cairns Packing List - tips on what to pack for a trip to Far North Queensland.
- Top Things to Do in Port Douglas - a comprehensive guide to the sleepy Far North Queensland town of Port Douglas.
- Epic 5-Day Cairns Itinerary - my suggested adventure itinerary if you only have 5 days to spend in Cairns.
- Cape Tribulation Travel Guide - discover where the rainforest meets the reef at one of my favourite places in Australia.
- Magnetic Island Travel Guide - your ultimate resource for visiting "Maggie" near Townsville.
- Best Things to do in the Atherton Tablelands - my guide to one of Far North Queensland's most underrated adventure destinations.
- Accommodation Resources: Discover where to stay in Cairns, the best hotels in Port Douglas and my Cape Tribulation accommodation guide.