Getting from Bali to Lombok involves choosing either a fast ferry, a slow public boat, or taking a flight.
Bali’s sister island, Lombok, is slowly becoming one of Indonesia’s many unmissable travel destinations. Luckily, getting to Lombok is easy if you’re starting your journey in Bali.
I’ve visited Lombok several times over the years and these days I highly recommend opting for the fast boat option departing from Padang Bai in Bali and reaching Senggigi in Lombok in roughly 1.5 hours.
However, depending on your travel plans and where you plan to stay in Lombok, there might be better options for you. Below, I’ll break down all the options and offer my recommendations and tips to help you book the best boat or flight for you.
By Olly Gaspar, traveler, travel blogger & photographer for 5+ years with 600+ published travel guides. I visit every place I write about & share real tips from what I learn.
Overview of How to Get from Bali to Lombok
There are three main ways to get from Bali to Lombok. These include:
- Fast Boat - best option taking roughly 1.5-3.5 hours and arriving in Bangsal Port or Senggigi Pier in Lombok.
- Flight - fastest option taking roughly 40 minutes from Ngurah Rai International Airport and arriving at Lombok International Airport (Zainuddin Abdul Madjid).
- Slow Boat - the cheapest option taking roughly 4-6 hours and arriving in Lembar Harbor in Lombok.
The times are approximate for the boat options since the Lombok Strait can become notoriously rough, impacting travel times. The journey is also much longer than the boats from Bali to Nusa Penida.
Best Fast Boat Option to Lombok from Bali
Currently, the best and easiest way to arrange your transport from Bali to Lombok is to book a 1-Way Speedboat Ferry with Eka Jaya Fast Boat.
This boat departs from Padang Bai Harbor and arrives at Senggigi Pier in approximately 1.5 hours.
The ticket prices are approximately 440,000 IDR per person for the one-way trip. You will need to arrange transport to Padang Bai for those staying in Canggu, Kuta, Nusa Dua, Ubud, Seminyak, Sanur, and other popular tourist spots in Bali.
After making many return trips, I recommend this option because it is one of the fastest boats and terminates at Senggigi. This is convenient if you are staying in Senggigi as you won't require any further transport from Bangsal Harbor.
Tip: An additional 10,000 IDR harbor tax is also payable at Padang Bai Terminal in cash only.
How To Book Fast Ferry Tickets From Bali To Lombok
If you'd prefer to book your ferry tickets indepenently, then the easiest way to do so is to use the 12Go ferry booking system. This lists all the different boat schedules and ferry timetables to help you choose the best boat depending on your travel preferences and final destination in Lombok.
If you're opting for the independent booking option, I highly recommend booking in advance, as boats can quickly fill up, especially during the peak season. This only lists the fast boat options as the local slow boat (public ferry) is not popular since it takes more than 4 hours.
Port Departures & Speed Boat Routes
There are two primary ports with daily fast boat routes between Bali and Lombok. These are:
- Padang Bai Harbor Best - located approximately 1.5 hours from popular South Lombok tourist spots
- Serangan Pier- located approximately 20 minutes from popular South Lombok tourist spots
Although Padang Bai is further away from most popular tourist spots, it is situated much closer to Lombok on Bali's East Coast. Therefore, traveling the extra distance by road is a more convenient option than doing so by ferry, often cutting the total cost and length of the trip considerably.
There are also boats from both piers departing from Bali to Gili Trawangan, Gili Air, or Gili Meno. If you plan to stay in the Gili Islands, then I suggest booking the fast boat to Gili first, then taking the cheap and fast public boat to Lombok after.
Lombok Fast Boat Schedules from Padang Bai
Below is a useful ferry timetable for the best-rated fast boats departing from Padang Bai.
|Daily Departure Times
|Price (IDR per person)
|Eka Jaya Fast Boat
|8:00 am, 9:00 am, 10:30 am, 2:00 pm
|8:30 am, 9:00 am, 9:30 am, 1:30 pm
|3 hours 15 minutes
Lombok Fast Boat Schedules from Serangan
Below you will find the best boat options (by customer reviews) departing from Serangan Pier in Bali.
|Daily Departure Times
|Price (IDR per person)
|Blue Water Express
|3 hours 45 minutes
Bali to Lombok by Flight
The fastest way to get to Lombok from Bali is by taking a 40-minute flight from Denpasar Airport (Ngurah Rai International Airport), arriving at Lombok International Airport in Praya, just north of the famous beaches of Kuta Lombok in the south.
Flights are operated by local Indonesian Airlines including Citilink and Wings Abadi (Wings Air), with flight tickets cost between 800,000 - 1,000,000 IDR per person. This can vary greatly by season and demand.
There are also sometimes direct flights available with Garuda Indonesia, AirAsia, and Lion Air.
While flying from Bali to Lombok seems like a convenient option, I don't recommend it. That's because it often takes a lot of time to check in and go through the airport security, boarding, and baggage collection process. Furthermore, since low-cost airlines operate this route, you will need to pay extra for your baggage.
That said, if you are set on flying, I suggest looking for flights on Google Flights or the airlines directly to get the best deals.
Slow Boat (Public Boat) Between Bali & Lombok
For those wanting to make the journey between Bali and Lombok in the cheapest way possible, or if you want to travel with a car or motorbike, you can opt for the slow boat.
The slow boat departs from Padang Bai Harbor to Lembar Port every hour, 24 hours per day. The journey takes approximately 4-6 hours depending on the weather conditions.
The price is IDR 62,200 per adult, making it the cheapest way to get to Lombok from Bali. However, this boat terminates in Lembar, which is over 1 hour's drive from the tourist hubs of Kuta Lombok and Senggigi. You do not need to book this ferry in advance, but I suggest showing up to the port at least 45 minutes prior to your planned departure.
Travel tip: Check for changes in the schedule on national holidays, including the Hindu Nyepi Day celebrations in Bali.
Travel Tips for Journeys Between Bali & Lombok
After several trips to Lombok, all starting in Bali, here are a few things I have learned.
- Book in Advance: Especially during peak travel seasons, it’s wise to book your fast boat tickets or flights in advance to secure the best prices and ensure availability.
- Consider the Weather: The Lombok Strait can be rough, particularly during the wet season (October to April). If you're prone to seasickness, choose larger fast boats or consider flying.
- Travel Insurance: Always travel with insurance that covers medical emergencies, trip cancellations, and luggage loss. This is particularly important when taking smaller boats (they have capsized in the past) where the risk of delays or cancellations due to weather is higher. Read my guide for cheap travel insurance for Indonesia.
- Arrive Early: Whether you’re catching a boat or a flight, arrive at the port or airport early. This allows ample time for check-in, security checks, and any unforeseen delays.
- Pack Snacks and Water: Onboard services vary, so bring snacks and water. There are usually sellers at the piers in Bali and in Lombok.
- Luggage Considerations: Fast boats have luggage limits (usually around 25kg per person). Check with your operator and pack accordingly. However, most fast boats I've taken aren't too strict on weight. For flights, remember low-cost carriers charge extra for checked baggage.
- Transport to and from Ports/Airports: Plan your transfers to and from ports and airports, or use Grab when you arrive.
- Cash for Fees: Keep some Indonesian Rupiah handy for port fees, snacks, or transport upon arrival in Lombok.
FAQ About Getting to Lombok
What is the best way to get from Bali to Lombok?
The most convenient way to get to Lombok from Bali is to take the fast boat from Padang Bai Pier, arriving at Senggigi in 1.5 hours.
What is the fastest way to get to Lombok from Bali?
The fastest way is by taking a flight from Ngurah Rai International Airport in Bali to Lombok International Airport, which takes about 40 minutes.
Is it better to fly or take a boat to Lombok?
It depends on your priorities. Flying is quicker but can be more expensive and less scenic. Taking a fast boat is more affordable and offers beautiful views, but it takes longer and can be affected by sea conditions.
Can I bring my luggage on the fast boat?
Yes, fast boats allow luggage, typically up to 25 kg per person but varies by company. In my experience no boat will weigh your bag.
Are there any additional fees I should be aware of?
Yes, when departing from Padang Bai, you'll need to pay a harbor tax of around 10,000 IDR in cash. There is also a harbor tax in Bangsal of 10,000 IDR per person.
Is it safe to travel by boat to Lombok?
Yes, it's generally safe, but ensure you choose reputable operators with good safety records. Also, consider the weather conditions, as the Lombok Strait can be rough at times. Tourist boats have capsized on this crossing.
How do I get from Lombok airport or port to my hotel?
You can take a taxi, hire a private driver, or use a ride-hailing app like Grab/Gojek. However, Grab/Gojek is limited in tourist areas in Lombok. Some hotels in Lombok also offer airport pickup services, so it's worth checking when you book your stay.
More Lombok Travel & Adventure Blogs
I hope this guide has helped you plan your trip from Bali to Lombok! If you find any new routes, updates, or information regarding this crossing, please let me know in the comments so I can update this blog post!
Also, while you're here, make sure to read some of my other useful travel guides. I've spent months exploring and documenting my adventures on Lombok, and have plenty of great ideas to share. Check them out below.
- 4-Day Boat Trip to Komodo From Lombok - read about my favorite boat trip in Indonesia
- Lombok Travel Guide - My comprehensive guide of 25+ epic things to do in Lombok
- Lombok Waterfall Guide - Discover all the best waterfalls in Lombok
- Hiking Rinjani Crater - how to hike and camp on Mount Rinjani
- Gili Trawangan - Find things to do on Gili T
- Accommodation: Find out where to stay in Lombok and read my guide to where to stay on the Gili Islands.