A complete travel guide to visiting the incredible Montpellier Falls near Alegria, Cebu, the Philippines. Includes how to get here, what to expect and more!
Montpellier Falls is a tall and magestic waterfall located in the Alegria Muncipality in Cebu. Strangely, this waterfall is still very quiet, meaning it’s one of the best hidden-gems to visit on the island!
In this travel guide, I’ll give you all the information you’ll need to visit this epic Cebu waterfall, including how to get here, what to expect, and more!
Featured in: 6 Best Cebu Waterfalls
Where is Montpellier Falls?
It’s not the easiest waterfall to find without the right directions. So, you might be wondering, “Where is Montpellier Falls?” The waterfall is located roughly one hour drive or moped ride from Moalboal.
From Moalboal, you can head south for roughly 45 minutes, past Kawasan Falls and the popular canyoneering spots. This waterfall is largely unmarked, however, I’ve taken the liberty to pin the location on the map below to help you find it.
If you follow the direction from the pin, you can’t go wrong. From the coast, it’s a 20-minute ride up the windy road through the mountains. Keep an eye out for a bamboo hut with a painted sign on the edge of the cliff. This will be the spot to park your car or motorbike.
After parking, you can walk down the mountain path for 15 minutes, passing palms and Cebu jungle on the way. There is a small local community on the path. If you get lost, simply ask one of the kids.
As soon as you begin your descent you will no doubt already hear the steep flow of water coming from the waterfall.
Montpellier Falls is a tall, but thin waterfall flowing from a funneled point on the steep limestone cliff. The water drops directly onto a large boulder that is half-submerged in the aqua-blue water. It definitely looks like something out of the Jungle Book.
The swimming hole is definitely deep enough to swim, and it’s a great spot to cool down on a hot day in Cebu. The surrounding landscape is thick, untouched jungle littered with palm trees and dense tropical flora.
Don’t Miss: Cebu Island Travel Guide – 15 Epic Things to Do
A Waterfall Adventure Day
Since it takes over an hour to reach Montpellier Falls, why not check out some nearby waterfalls? We chose to check out Montpellier directly after Cambais Falls, which is less than 30-minutes away.
However, if you’re coming from Cambais to Montpellier, it’s best to simply take the interior roads and use Google Maps and the help of locals to find Montpellier.
In my opinion, it’s probably better to check out Cambais first, as to avoid any backtracking.
Where to Stay in cebu
The best place to base yourself is in Moalboal as it’s close to all of the best things to do and all the epic attractions you’ll want to add to your Cebu itinerary. However, if you’re planning to travel around the island, then I’d also recommend staying at:
- Cebu City/Mactan
- Sumilon Island
Here are the best hotel picks for each budget.
- Best Luxury Resort in South Cebu: Ancelle Cristo Re – the top-rated luxury resort situated on a private beach near Moalboal where you can snorkel with sea turtles. This hotel is run by three amazing sisters who use their proceeds to support a local orphanage.
- Best Resort in Mactan/Cebu City: Bai Hotel – a great mid-budget resort in Cebu City with large rooms, daily buffet breakfast, and rooftop swimming pool. Located verry close to the Cebu International Airport.
- Backpacker Hostel With a Vibe in Moalboal: Chief Mau – a great hostel with a relaxed backpacker vibe in the heart of Moalboal. Large rooms, an onsite bar, and tours can be booked straight from the front desk.
- Sustainable lodging in Malapascua: Villa Sandra – an awesome treehouse accommodation on Malapascua Island – an awesome place to scuba dive with Thresher Sharks
- …10+ More Top-Rated Hotels on Cebu
Stay on Sumilon Island
Sumilon Bluewater – stay on a pristine private island complete with a beautiful white sandbar and crystal-clear water for swimming and snorkeling.
After Montpellier Waterfall – More Things to do
I hope that you’ve enjoyed this quick travel guide to visiting Montpellier Falls Alegria, Cebu. While you’re here, make sure to check out some of my other blog posts for more adventure inspiration on the island and others in the Philippines.