An updated 2024 guide breaking down the 11 best cave hotels in Santorini for the ultimate luxury Greek Island getaway.
The Aegean island of Santorini is known for its chalk-white Cycladic buildings, blue-domed churches, volcanic caldera, stunning black sand beaches, and of course, its world-class sunsets.
It’s hard to argue with, this island is one of the most picturesque on earth– and commonly referred to as Europe’s top luxury honeymoon destination.
But, travelers who want to really make the most of this iconic Greek Island experience are going to want to stay in Santorini Cave hotel. This is the most iconic Santorini accommodation option for a romantic luxury vacation and something you won’t find anywhere else in the world.
- In a Rush? Here are the Best Cave Pool Hotels in Santorini
- 6 Best Santorini Cave Hotels in Fira (Thira) & Imerovigli
- 5 Best Cave Suites in Santorini’s Oia Area
- Before You Go: Don’t Miss These Must-Do Santorini Experiences
- What to Expect When Staying in a Luxury Cave Hotel
- Plan a Trip to Santorini
- FAQ About Staying in a Santorini Cave Hotel
- More Santorini Accommodation & Adventure Guides
I'm Olly, a full-time traveler for the past 5 years. I visit every destination I write about & handpick all recommendations.
In a Rush? Here are the Best Cave Pool Hotels in Santorini
There are hundreds of luxury hotels in Santorini, and over 50 of these are quaint cave hotels overlooking the Tholos Naftilos volcano in Fira (Thira), Imerovigli, and Oia.
To save you time, here are my top 3 best picks that you can book today.
1. Cocoon Suites Top-Pick
Boasting some of the best reviews in Santorini, Cocoon Suites is an iconic cave hotel with a huge, swim-out pool and organic breakfast in the heart of Imerovigli.
Featured in luxury travel magazines all over the world, this is among the best adults-only hotels in Santorini with cave pools. It's located in the Imerovigli cliffside village, an ideal location for luxury honeymooners.
Situated on the cliffside in the heart of Oia, Armeni offers everything you could want from a luxury cave stay, from a pool to your own private hot tub overlooking the Aegean sea.
6 Best Santorini Cave Hotels in Fira (Thira) & Imerovigli
|Ventus Paradiso Villa||$$$$|
|Pegasus Suites & Spa||$$$$|
|Divine Cave Experience||$$$|
|NK Cave House Villa||$$$|
Located in the heart of Imerovigli in a quiet location above the caldera, we find one of the best luxury hotels in the entire region. Cocoon Suites offers panoramic sea views from your own private hot tub or cave pool overlooking the Santorini volcano.
Luxurious amenities include organic, room-delivered breakfasts, minimalistic, cave-like designs, and in-room massages. Besides, I believe that the outdoor heated plunge pool at this hotel is one of the most scenic on the island, with its many terraces offering amazing sea views!
Although the hotel can suit all types of groups from 2 to 6 people, it is especially recommended for couples. The honeymoon suites are astounding and candle-lit dinners can be arranged. A luxury experience guaranteed!
Want to rent an entire villa perched on the caldera near Imerovigli center? This is your chance to do so! Ventus Paradiso Villa offers unique 4-person luxury villas with spectacular views of the Aegean Sea.
The villas consist of incredible cave rooms, infinity pools with swim-out views, fully equipped kitchens, and of course, amazing sunsets guaranteed. Naturally, free wifi and free parking are also included. This perfect place, which is situated 3 kilometers from Exo Gialos Beach, also provides on-site spa and massage services.
Dream away as you watch the cruise ships enter the Aegean Sea from your personal cave pool!
The Pegasus Suites & Spa hotel offers true celebrity treatments with their 5-star luxurious amenities. Their private rooms can accommodate up to 7 people and are all provided with a mini bar, flat-screen TVs, air-conditioning, and private bathrooms.
Although this is one of the pricier hotels, we can certainly see why. Pegasus offers amazing heated private pools, spa treatments, a fitness center on-site, and an astounding restaurant under the stars. Be aware though, this is an adults-only hotel!
Finally, this hotel can boast a perfect location, being one of the best hotels in Fira, the center of the island's scenic capital is just 20-minute walk from the premises.
The Divine Cave Experience is rated as the best cave hotel experience in all of Santorini. This adults-only cave hotel is located just north of the exclusive Imerovigli cliffside village, and each room comes with its own cave pool with views over the ocean!
Privacy is the key to this hotel, which includes private parking, a private jacuzzi (with views over the caldera), and a private experience with incredible views of the sunset on the cliff edge. Because of this, the Divine Cave Experience is a true dream come true if you're looking for Santorini honeymoon hotels.
The unique atmosphere from these cave-style suites really is something special. Relax in the spa and wellness center on-site to fully enjoy your stay on the island!
The highly rated Iconic Santorini cave hotel provides spacious rooms for two with both indoor and outdoor plunge pools. Situated near the scenic village of Imerovigli, this is one of the best ways to enjoy spectacular views of the island, whether it is from your own private pool or from your private balconies!
A real standout is the food Iconic Santorini provides. They have a large choice range for breakfast, which is prepared daily and served on the terrace. Authentic local dishes are also a must-try in the dine-in restaurant!
Furthermore, this adults-only hotel provides daily housekeeping and has a fitness and wellness center with on-site massage packages.
With an exceptional 9.9 rating on Booking.com, the NK Cave House Villa is an absolute gem. Situated in a 19th-century cave house, this hotel provides private rooms with views over the caldera accommodating 4 guests. Rooms are equipped with private plunge pools, a minibar, a coffee maker, and a flat-screen TV.
If you wish to stay in the capital of Santorini, this cave hotel might just be your best choice. Situated just a 5-minute walk to the center of Fira, this hotel truly has an exceptional location. The peaceful neighborhood is filled with authentic restaurants and bars, and the central bus station is just 200 meters away.
Furthermore, this part of the capital of Santorini is most famous for its wine tasting!
5 Best Cave Suites in Santorini's Oia Area
|Andronis Luxury Suites||$$$$$|
|Cave Suite Oia||$$$|
|Armeni Luxury Villas||$$$|
|Kaleidoscope Cave Houses||$$$|
Voted among the best hotels in Oia, Andronis offers a world-class luxury service with a unique cave-style experience. The rooms, which are carved into the cliff, provide sweeping views over the Aegean Sea and caldera. The hotel has open, spacious rooms with private bathrooms and amenities such as a coffee maker and minibar.
Andronis also provides fitness classes and yoga, which are available in the on-site fitness center. The hotel's own Mediterranean restaurant is also very popular in the region.
Finally, this luxurious accommodation is in the perfect location, since it is situated near the heart of Oia Town, yet manages to preserve its sense of peace and seclusion.
This 5-star accommodation is definitely one of the best hotels in Oia. Featuring an authentic minimalist style, Abyss is most famous for its incredible rooms with private balconies and hot tubs. Besides that, you can also enjoy the panoramic views from the outdoor infinity pool.
With its central location, Abyss is situated just 150 meters from the Naval Museum of Oia and just 800 meters from Katharos Beach. It's therefore known as a great location, slightly away from the main crowds of Oia.
Great luxury, in a minimalist style!
Cave Suite Oia is a real standout since it's one of the most popular choices for families or larger groups. The hotel provides spacious private white cave houses, fully equipped with a kitchen, living room, and flat-screen TV. It also features an outdoor swimming pool and hot tub.
This luxurious accommodation is perfectly located near Oia center, just a short drive away from many popular tourist attractions like the Archaeological Museum of Thera. Furthermore, Cave Suite Oia boasts some incredible views over the traditional houses of the city.
Definitely a top cave choice if you are traveling with your family!
Looking for a perfect place to stay, in a central location with unobstructed views over the caldera? Then look no further, because this is exactly what the Armeni Luxury Villas provide. With its spacious rooms and private hot tubs (with panoramic views!), this luxury accommodation is the perfect place to stay in the Summer season and one of my personal favorite luxury hotels that I've stayed in, anywhere in the world for its views and exceptional service (just look at that pool view).
Hotel guests can enjoy an elegant living room and fully equipped kitchen, next to the basic amenities of free wifi, air-conditioning, a minibar, and satellite TV.
Armeni is located near the center of Oia, just 2.6 kilometers away from the famous Baxedes Beach, which is great if you're looking to explore the area. Additionally, the hotel is also situated near the Castle of Oia and the Nautical Museum, which I do recommend checking out if staying in this part of Santorini.
I'll end my list with the Kaleidoscope Cave Houses near the center of Oia. Some of the main hotel features are an amazing plunge pool, daily housekeeping services, and spa services on-site.
From your room, you can enjoy some incredible views overlooking the caldera. All rooms are equipped with a kitchen, TV, air-conditioning, a coffee maker, and even a stove. Besides, some of the larger rooms even feature a private patio with chairs to relax.
The sea views from the Kaleidoscope Cave Houses are astounding, and I am sure you will not be disappointed by this luxurious accommodation!
Before You Go: Don't Miss These Must-Do Santorini Experiences
In a rush? Here are the top 3 unmissable Santorini tours that you can book for an incredible experience.
Sail around Santorini's caldera, hike the volcano (optional), and stop at some epic islands for swimming, exploring, and enjoying the hot springs (Thirassia)
Are you looking for an adventurous tour that is worth the arm workout? Look no further than the Santorini Sea Kayaking tour. With spectacular views and a picnic to fill you up this one shouldn't be missed.
If sipping wine and enjoying spectacular views is your kind of thing then the Wine Tasking Tour should be on your list. With 3 wine estates to be visited, you will be sure to have an exceptional day. The best part is you don't need to drive!
What to Expect When Staying in a Luxury Cave Hotel
Staying in a luxury cave hotel in Santorini offers a unique blend of Greek cultural charm and modern luxury. After having stayed in several myself, I can offer some unique insights below that will prepare you for an amazing vacation.
- Unique Architecture and Design: Carved into the volcanic cliffs, Santorini's luxurious hotels typically boasts distinctive rounded interiors and arched ceilings. However, you might want to know that the white walls against the blue sky aren't just like that for show. They reflect the sunlight and the arched ceilings keep the inside of the cave hotel cool.
- Privacy & Exclusivity: You might notice that the cave hotels on my list feature fewer rooms. This is because I know that most traveler's searching for these hotels are looking for a serene, intimate atmosphere.
- Breathtaking Views: Perched on the caldera, all of the hotels on this list feature great views, however some like Armeni Luxury Villas are better than others. I recommend choosing a room with a west-facing terrace if you can as the sunsets here are absolutely amazing.
- Luxurious Amenities: Modern comforts are what you're searching for when looking at the higher end of hotels in Santorini. This list includes features like personal jacuzzis for stargazing—a luxury touch that makes for an undeniably unforgettable experience.
- Personalized Service: When you're paying this price point for a hotel, you are right to expect only the best, bespoke service. After traveling all over the world non-stop for the past five years, I've found the hospitality in Greece to be one of the best– especially on Santorini. For example, the staff members who remembered my preference for a morning espresso at Armeni delivered it to my room without me even asking after the first day—a small detail, but it exemplifies what you can expect from these amazing cave hotels.
My Hotel Selection Process
- Accommodation Criteria: If you want to stay at a cave hotel, I know you're looking for luxury, great views, and amazing hotel pools. I've only selected cave hotels that include these three criteria.
- My Experience: I first visited Santorini in 2015 when Haylea and I stayed in an amazing cave hotel (now closed) for our anniversary. Since then, we've returned to Santorini three times and written several accommodation guides to hotels across Oia, Fira, and Imerovigli. I base my recommendations on hotels that I've personally stayed at or those that are recommended by other travelers with great reviews.
- Top Reviews: All of the cave hotels in this list have a strong customer review rating above 8.0/10 on popular booking sites such as Booking.com, Expedia, and Hotels.com. I have included the links to book each on the site with the best price.
- Local Insights: While I haven't stayed at every hotel on this list, several of them were recommended to me by Teti, a professional tour guide in Greece who works in Santorini for Med Experience. I've also included top hotel choices as recommended by travelers on forums like Reddit and review sites like TripAdvisor.
Read more about how I review & select hotels & accommodations.
I'm Olly, a full-time traveler for the past 5 years. Each accommodation option in this guide is handpicked by me. Read my travel review ethics statement.
Plan a Trip to Santorini
Fun, independent travel to Santorini is easy if you have the right tools and plan ahead.
Below are my recommended websites, apps, and travel booking resources that I personally use to plan a trip to Santorini.
Tip: Bookmark these pages for the future.
Flights: Find & compare flight deals to Santorini using Skyscanner. Use the "search by month" feature to discover the cheapest day to fly.
Hostels: When it comes to scoring epic deals on hostels and cheap stays your secret weapon is Hostelworld. If you're traveling to Santorini to meet people, use the “See Who's Going” function.
Travel Insurance: HeyMondo is my top recommendation for travel insurance for Santorini. They've got your back with comprehensive coverage, from unexpected flight hiccups to those "oops" moments. Click the link to get 5% OFF your policy.
Internet & Connectivity: Stay connected as soon as you land in Santorini with Airalo's eSIMS. Download their app and grab an eSIM from the comfort of your own home, even before you set foot on foreign soil. No more frantic searches for local SIM cards when you arrive.
Ferry: Make your trip as smooth as possible by booking a ferry. From my experience Blue Star Ferries are the best to book through. These run from Athens and it is also possible to catch them from surrounding islands such as Naxos, Paros, Ios, and Mykonos.
Never planned independent travel before? Read my comprehensive guide to planning a trip.
FAQ About Staying in a Santorini Cave Hotel
Santorini's white-washed cave hotels offer a distinctive lodging experience that is carved into the volcanic cliffs, combining traditional architecture that is quite different to say, cave hotels in Cappadocia. The best ones also offer spectacular caldera views and usually feature a small pool.
Cave hotels in Santorini tend to be on the luxurious side due to their positioning for honeymooners and wealthy holidayers. However, properties like NK Cave House Villa offer relatively cheaper nightly rates than the top picks like Cocoon Suites or Armeni Luxury Villas. Tip: I've found that the hotels on the Caldera side of the island in regions like Oia, Fira, or Imerovigli are much more expensive on average than other parts of Santorini like Perissa, Perivolos, or Karterados.
Yes, properties like Divine Cave Experience and Pegasus Suites & Spa are exclusively available to adults. This makes them an ideal choice for romantic getaways or honeymoons.
Santorini is one of the most popular luxury holiday destinations in the world according to Ted Thornhill from the Daily Mail. As a result, the best hotels often sell out quickly. I've also found that prices can rise as much as 150% for last-minute rooms in the peak season (June to September). Therefore, I recommend booking your cave hotel stay at least 3-4 months in advance, especially if you're planning to visit during the peak season (June to September).
For iconic sunsets and luxury, Oia you can't beat Oia. Fira is the go-to place for nightlife and offers convenience for exploring the island. Imerovigli is also a good pick for its serene and stunning caldera views.
More Santorini Accommodation & Adventure Guides
I hope this luxury accommodation guide has helped you narrow down the best cave hotels in Santorini for your next visit to this epic Greek Island.
Before you leave, make sure to check out some of my other Greece travel guides below for more inspiration!
- Top 10 Santorini Day Tours - ten unmissable experiences you can book for your trip to Santorini
- Best Beach Resorts in Greece - Find out where to stay in Greece for amazing beach resorts
- Best Hotels in Athens - discover the best accommodation picks in the capital of Greece
- Where to Stay in Ios - discover the party island of Ios in this detailed accommodation guide
- Best Hotels in Paros - my accommodation guide to Paros Island
- Top Luxury Resorts in Mykonos - a list of the best luxury resorts in Mykonos