Patna Waterfall Rishikesh is a small limestone waterfall located near the small village of Patna. Here is the complete guide to hiking to Patna Waterfall from Rishikesh.
Looking for a short hike to check out some waterfalls near Rishikesh? Patna waterfall is a great option for those looking to head out from town and explore the serenity of the Rajaji Forest on the banks of the Ganges.
In this guide, I’ll outline how to get to Patna Waterfall from Rishikesh, as well as what you might expect on the hike and at the falls.
I'm Olly, a full-time traveler for the past 5 years. I visit every destination I write about & handpick all recommendations.
How to Get to Patna Waterfall in Rishikesh
Patna Waterfall is located approximately 5 KM from the Laxman Jhula Bridge in Rishikesh in the quaint neighboring village of Patna.
To get here, you can either rent a motorbike from one of the many shops in the Tapovan area or walk for just over an hour on Neelkanth Temple Road, on the south side of the Ganges River.
The waterfall track is found just off this main road, a bit after Garud Chatti falls. At the trailhead, you'll also find a few stalls selling snacks and chai. There are no signs indicating the start of the Patna Waterfall hike, but you'll see it just opposite the "Sidh Bali Temple. Neelkanth temple" as pinned on Google Maps.
Budget Travel Tip: Consider this full-day sightseeing tour of Rishikesh for under $35!
Trekking to Patna Waterfall
- Hike Distance: 3 km return
- Duration: 2 hours with time at the waterfall
- Difficulty: Easy
Once you've arrived at the trailhead beside the stalls on Neelkanth Temple Road, you can expect a short but scenic 1.5KM walking track through the Rajaji Forest to Patna Falls.
There is no fee required to visit Patna Waterfall.
This track is a little steep but shouldn't be too difficult at all for most people with a reasonable level of fitness.
After a short climb on a wide, obvious track through the scenic forest, you'll reach Patna Waterfall, a tall, limestone feature embedded in the jungle.
Safe Drinking Water Anywhere!
The Grayl GeoPress Purifier Bottle is my favorite travel product. I take it on every hike & use it to filter water all over the world, from hiking trails in Colombia to sketchy taps in India.
Compare how the GeoPress stacks up against the best water bottle filters on the market.
What to Expect at Patna Falls
The waterfall is quite tall, but offers little in terms of a solid flow. However, the gentle trickle of freshwater down the limestone face makes for quite a scenic spot to relax.
There is a small, shallow pool just below the waterfall where you can enjoy a natural shower on a warm day.
I've been told that during the summer months, Patna waterfall can completely dry up. Conversely, during the monsoon season, this waterfall spills over onto the track making access muddy and difficult.
Patna Waterfall is by no means the most impressive waterfall in Rishikesh. However, I still ranked this as one of the best short hikes and trips from Rishikesh.
There are also some small, limestone caves nearby that you can explore.
Related: Neer Garh Waterfall Rishikesh
Where to Stay in Rishikesh
After spending a few weeks relaxing and experiencing all of the epic things to do and see in Rishikesh, I ended up staying at a few different hotels and hostels. The main thing to look for in Rishikesh is the location.
Many backpackers including myself recommend staying in the Tapovan area. There are so many things to do in Tapovan, since this is the main tourist area in Rishikesh. It doesn't matter too much whether you stay on the south side, or the north side, as everything is within walking distance.
- My favorite hostel in Rishikesh: Live Free Hostel - After checking out a few hostels, Live Free definitely had the best vibe. Complete with a courtyard and comfortable rooms, there is also a big downstairs hangout area where they have group cooking activities, rooftop yoga, and movie nights.
- Best budget private room: Hotel Yog - If you'd prefer to relax by yourself or as a couple, the Hotel Yog is one of the best budget hotels in the Tapovan area. Rooms are considered budget but are a little more expensive than the nearby hostels. However, at only around $20 a night for spacious rooms with mountain views, a continental breakfast and a rooftop terrace, you really can't go wrong.
- Best-rated yoga resort: Rudram Hotel Yoga and Ayurveda Retreat - Looking to do a whole bunch of yoga in Rishikesh but still want to stay within the Tapovan area? This place offers yoga courses and free yoga sessions by the Ganges. The rooms are super comfortable and come with AC and mountain views.
More Waterfalls and Things to do in Rishikesh
Did you enjoy Patna Waterfall Rishikesh and looking for more quick guides and travel inspiration for hikes and waterfalls nearby? Take your pick from the list below. Otherwise, a good place to start for more ideas in Rishikesh is this guide to the Best Things to do in Rishikesh.
Also, if you have any questions or updates for other travelers, make sure to help out by leaving a comment below!