A useful guide to the John Suwan Viewpoint at the southern tip of Koh Tao Island. Find out how to get here and what to expect!
Koh Tao is one of those i
John Suwan looks over both the East and West coast of Koh Tao. You’ll find it located at the very southern tip of the island, offering a unique view that should be on the list of everyone’s top things to do on Koh Tao!
- How to get to John Suwan Viewpoint on Koh Tao
- Hiking up to the top of the Viewpoint
- The View from John Suwan Viewpoint
- Where Does the Name John Suwan Come From?
- Don’t Miss Freedom Beach Near John Suwan
- Where to Stay on Koh Tao – Accommodation Guide
- More Koh Tao Travel Guides
How to get to John Suwan Viewpoint on Koh Tao
Those heading from the main tourist beat of Sairee or Mae Head will need to take a moped over to Freedom Beach. It shouldn't take more than 15 minutes to reach this beach from almost anywhere on Koh Tao.
The viewpoint is best reached by parking your bike at the top of Freedom Beach parking area and then walking the trail up to John Suwan Viewpoint.
Once you reach the parking lot, walk past the resort, past the signs for freedom beach and follow the dirt road leading up to the left. Next, follow this road until you reach a small tent which is set up by the owner of the land.
John Suwan Viewpoint Entrance Fee
Because this viewpoint is on private land, the owner will ask for a fee. It costs 100 baht per person to reach the top of the viewpoint.
Hiking up to the top of the Viewpoint
The hike up is short, only 500
There are also parts which require a bit of scrambling. There are some ropes set up for those that need an extra hand scrambling up the rocks. However, any able-bodied person will be able to reach the viewpoint.
Travel Tip: You might also run into a pack of dogs that live on the land. Don't worry, these guys are friendly but become extremely territorial if they see or hear other street dogs. With a viewpoint this epic, I'd be pretty territorial too.
The View from John Suwan Viewpoint
The view from John Suwan viewpoint is spectacular.
The seemingly endless row of palm trees in the middle crater out to reveal an almost perfectly symmetrical coastline filled with tropical trees.
Keep your eye out for turtles swimming below in Shark Bay.
Where Does the Name John Suwan Come From?
This viewpoint was discovered by John Suwan, a local
It has now become one of the most popular viewpoints on Koh Tao for those looking to get out of Sairee.
Don't Miss Freedom Beach Near John Suwan
Since you are already considering checking out the viewpoint, why not check out neighboring Freedom Beach. This is my personal favorite beach on Koh Tao.
It is usually very quiet, has crystal clear water and hammocks already set up for free use.
Where to Stay on Koh Tao - Accommodation Guide
There are several options for travelers wondering where to stay on Koh Tao island. Generally speaking, most people like to stay near Sairee Beach to be close to all the highlights and things to do. However, you can also stay near Mae Head, or a bit further up the mountain from Sairee as well.
To save you time searching the web, I've listed some of the best options for where to stay on Koh Tao below.
- Best Luxury Pick: Jamahkiri Resort & Spa - a really great bang-for-buck luxury resort. Guests will find this one on the beachfront of Shark Bay in a quiet and secluded location away from the hustle and bustle.
- Best self-catering villa: Phandara Pool Villas - a luxury option for those who want their own kitchen & pool.
- Best Backpacker Hostel: Summer Guesthouse - located within walking distance of the dive shops on Sairee beach and of course, the nightly pub crawls– this is the top budget option with a great vibe.
More Koh Tao Travel Guides
I hope that this quick guide to John Suwan Viewpoint on Koh Tao has inspired you to grab a set of wheels and chase the views!
Check out the list below for more Koh Tao guides!